EVENTIDE H3000 MULTI EFFECTS PROCESSOR
- CatalogEventide H3000
- Effect Type
The Eventide H3000 Multi Effects – A Timeless Classic.
The Eventide H3000 Harmonizer is a legendary digital effects unit and harmonizer that played a significant role in shaping the sound of music production and live performances. Its history is a story of innovation, creative sound design, and its impact on the music industry. Here’s a detailed history of the Eventide H3000:
1. The Early Years of Eventide:
- Eventide, the company behind the H3000, was founded in 1971 by Richard Factor and Dave Derr. The company gained recognition for its groundbreaking work in digital audio processing and pitch-shifting technology.
2. The Birth of the H3000:
- The Eventide H3000 Harmonizer was introduced in the mid-1980s. It was a significant step forward in the evolution of audio processors, combining various effects and processing functions into a single unit.
3. Versatility and Innovation:
- The H3000 was known for its versatility. It offered a wide range of effects, including pitch-shifting, harmonization, delays, modulation effects, reverb, and EQ. This versatility made it a staple in both studios and live sound setups.
4. Instantly Iconic Sounds:
- The H3000 introduced a host of instantly recognizable sounds, including the shimmering pitch-shifted harmonies heard on iconic tracks by artists like David Bowie, U2, and Pink Floyd.
5. Expansion Cards:
- Eventide released a series of expansion cards that added new algorithms and effects to the H3000, further enhancing its capabilities.
6. The Studio Standard:
- In the 1980s and 1990s, the H3000 quickly became a studio standard. Its rich, complex, and otherworldly effects made it a go-to processor for producers, engineers, and artists looking to push the boundaries of sound.
7. Live Sound:
- The H3000 wasn’t just confined to studios; it also made its mark in the world of live sound. Its ability to create vocal harmonies and unique textures in real-time added a new dimension to live performances.
8. Eventide’s Continued Innovation:
- Eventide continued to innovate and released subsequent versions of the Harmonizer, including the H3000 D/SE, H3000 S, and H3000 B series. Each version brought new features and improved processing power.
9. Influence on Music Production:
- The H3000’s influence extended across various music genres. It was a favorite tool of producers and artists in genres as diverse as rock, pop, electronic music, and experimental.
10. Legacy and Modern Emulations: – The Eventide H3000 left an indelible mark on the music industry. Its sounds continue to be celebrated, and its legacy lives on in modern audio processors and plugin emulations that seek to capture the essence of its iconic effects.
The Eventide H3000 Harmonizer remains a symbol of pioneering innovation in audio processing and sound design. It’s a testament to how a single piece of equipment can redefine the creative possibilities in music production, leaving an enduring legacy in the world of audio effects and processing.
The Eventide H3000 Multi Effects – In Review.
As a musician and producer, I’ve had the pleasure of working with various audio processors and effects units over the years, but there’s one that stands out in my mind as a true legend in the world of sound manipulation – the Eventide H3000 Harmonizer. I recently had the chance to spend some time with this iconic piece of gear, and it left a profound impression on me.
Sculpting Sonic Landscapes: The Eventide H3000 is nothing short of a sonic sculptor’s dream. From the moment I plugged it in, I was transported into a world of endless possibilities. The H3000’s range of effects is staggering, from lush reverbs to pitch-shifting, harmonization, flanger, chorus, and beyond. It’s not just an effects unit; it’s an entire universe of sonic exploration.
Iconic Sounds: The H3000 is celebrated for its instantly recognizable and iconic sounds. The pitch-shifting capabilities are extraordinary, allowing you to create shimmering harmonies, otherworldly textures, and mind-bending soundscapes. Artists like David Bowie and U2 have used these effects to shape the sonic identity of some of their most memorable tracks.
Versatility in the Studio: In the studio, the H3000 is a versatile workhorse. It’s equally at home adding a touch of subtle warmth and character to a vocal as it is pushing the boundaries of experimentation in electronic music production. The H3000’s flexibility and depth mean that it can be the secret sauce in a mix, providing that elusive element that makes a track stand out.
Live Performance Magic: What’s truly astonishing about the H3000 is its ability to bring studio-level sound manipulation to the stage. For live performances, it’s a game-changer. Whether it’s creating lush vocal harmonies or transforming a guitar’s timbre in real-time, the H3000 elevates live shows to a whole new level.
Enduring Legacy: The H3000 has an enduring legacy. Even as digital technology advances, the H3000’s sound character remains unparalleled. It’s not a piece of gear that has been left behind by time; it’s an icon that continues to be embraced by musicians and producers seeking to push creative boundaries.
Drawbacks: If I were to find any drawback, it would be the learning curve. The H3000 is a complex unit, and it takes time to explore its vast capabilities fully. But, for those who are willing to invest the time, the rewards are boundless.
In conclusion, the Eventide H3000 Harmonizer isn’t just an effects unit; it’s a gateway to uncharted sonic territories. It’s a piece of gear that inspires creativity, defies convention, and leaves an indelible mark on any production it touches. Whether in the studio or on stage, the H3000 is a timeless masterpiece, and its legendary sounds continue to captivate and innovate. This isn’t just a piece of equipment; it’s a creative partner in the quest for sonic excellence.
The Eventide H3000 Multi Effects – Features And Specifications.
The Eventide H3000 Harmonizer is a versatile and iconic effects unit known for its wide range of features and capabilities. Here are some of the key features and specifications of the Eventide H3000:
- Versatile Effects: The H3000 offers a wide array of effects, including pitch-shifting, harmonization, delays, reverb, modulation, flanger, chorus, EQ, and more. This versatility makes it a creative tool for a variety of applications.
- Multiple Algorithms: The unit includes multiple algorithms for different effects, providing flexibility in sound manipulation and sound design.
- Unique Sound: The H3000 is renowned for its unique and instantly recognizable sound. It can create lush harmonies, alien textures, and complex, evolving effects that have been used by countless artists to shape their signature sounds.
- Programmable Presets: It features programmable presets that allow you to save and recall your favorite settings, making it convenient for both studio and live performances.
- Expression Pedal Control: The H3000 includes an expression pedal input for real-time control of parameters, offering dynamic and expressive manipulation of effects.
- MIDI Compatibility: The unit is MIDI-compatible, allowing you to integrate it into your MIDI setup and synchronize it with other MIDI equipment.
- Complex Signal Routing: With its extensive signal routing options, the H3000 enables the creation of intricate effects chains and complex audio processing.
- User-Friendly Interface: The front panel is designed with a user-friendly interface, including a digital display and rotary encoders for parameter adjustments.
- Audio I/O: The H3000 typically offers stereo input and output, although some versions may have expanded I/O options.
- Processing: Depending on the model, the H3000 provides various levels of processing power, which affect the number of effects that can be used simultaneously.
- Sample Rate: The H3000 operates at a variety of sample rates, often including 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz.
- Presets: It can store a substantial number of presets, allowing you to recall complex effect configurations quickly.
- Rack Size: The H3000 is typically rack-mounted and takes up 1 or 2 rack spaces, depending on the specific model.
Please note that there are different versions and models of the Eventide H3000, and specifications can vary slightly between them. Newer models and software updates may have expanded features and capabilities compared to older versions. The H3000’s adaptability and innovative design have made it a beloved tool for sound designers, producers, and musicians in various musical genres, from rock to electronic music.
The Eventide H3000 Multi Effects – I Thought I’d Seen Everything.
Oh, you won’t believe this one! So there I was in the studio, casually adding the Eventide H3000 to a singer’s vocal track, and things got hilariously out of control. You see, the H3000 is known for its mind-bending effects, but I never expected it to turn my singer into a levitating superstar!
As the vocalist belted out the chorus, I decided to dial in some pitch-shifting effects to give the vocals an otherworldly touch. Little did I know that the H3000 had its own quirky sense of humor. With a mischievous twist of the knob, the singer’s voice began to bend and warp in the most unexpected way.
It started innocently enough, with the singer’s voice sounding like a robot from a sci-fi B-movie. But that was just the beginning. With every twist and turn of the H3000’s knobs, the vocal effects became more and more absurd. The singer’s pitch went from chipmunk-level high to Barry White-level low in a matter of seconds.
But here’s where the hilarity hit its peak – as I adjusted the harmonization settings, the singer’s pitch went haywire, and suddenly, he was floating a few inches above the studio floor! I kid you not, he looked like a human balloon that had accidentally become untethered. The expression on his face was a mix of shock and disbelief, and the rest of us in the control room couldn’t contain our laughter.
Our levitating singer tried to sing through fits of laughter himself, but the absurdity of the situation made it nearly impossible. He was floating, singing, and giggling like a mad scientist in some wacky lab experiment.
We eventually managed to bring him back down to solid ground, but the memory of that levitating singer and the Eventide H3000’s unexpected antics will forever be etched in our studio’s history. It was a reminder that in the world of audio production, you never quite know what bizarre and hilarious surprises might be in store when you’re exploring the creative depths of your gear!
The Eventide H3000 Multi Effects – In Popular Music.
The Eventide H3000 Harmonizer has been featured in numerous albums and songs across a wide range of music genres. Its distinctive sound and versatile effects have made it a sought-after tool for producers and artists. Here are some albums and songs that have prominently used the Eventide H3000:
David Bowie – “Let’s Dance” (Album)
- The title track “Let’s Dance” features the iconic pitch-shifting effect of the H3000, creating the unmistakable sound of Bowie’s soaring vocals.
U2 – “The Unforgettable Fire” (Album)
- The H3000 played a crucial role in shaping the unique guitar textures and vocal harmonies on this album, especially on tracks like “Pride (In the Name of Love).”
Peter Gabriel – “So” (Album)
- Peter Gabriel’s “Sledgehammer” makes use of the H3000 to create the pitch-shifted backing vocals and otherworldly sonic elements.
Talking Heads – “Remain in Light” (Album)
- The H3000 contributed to the experimental and rhythmic textures heard throughout this classic album.
Michael Jackson – “Bad” (Album)
- The Eventide H3000 added its magic to several tracks on the “Bad” album, enhancing Michael Jackson’s vocal performance.
Pink Floyd – “A Momentary Lapse of Reason” (Album)
- The H3000 was used to create the ethereal and atmospheric guitar sounds on this album.
Prince – “Sign o’ the Times” (Album)
- The Eventide H3000 played a role in shaping the unique and iconic sounds on various tracks, especially the title track “Sign o’ the Times.”
INXS – “Kick” (Album)
- The album “Kick” features the use of the H3000 to create signature vocal and guitar effects.
The Police – “Ghost in the Machine” (Album)
- The H3000 added its distinct sonic flavor to songs like “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.”
Aerosmith – “Permanent Vacation” (Album)
- Songs like “Dude (Looks Like a Lady)” benefited from the H3000’s vocal and guitar effects.
Steve Vai – “Passion and Warfare” (Album)
- The Eventide H3000 was used by virtuoso guitarist Steve Vai to create innovative and mind-bending guitar effects.
Bon Jovi – “Slippery When Wet” (Album)
- The H3000 contributed to the epic sound of anthems like “Livin’ on a Prayer.”
Depeche Mode – “Violator” (Album)
- The Eventide H3000 played a role in shaping the unique textures and vocal effects on songs like “Enjoy the Silence.”
These are just a few examples of albums and songs that have featured the Eventide H3000. Its creative and distinctive effects have left an indelible mark on the sound of numerous recordings and have been an essential tool for producers and artists seeking to push the boundaries of sonic experimentation.
The Eventide H3000 Multi Effects – Where To Obtain The Legend.
Purchasing an Eventide H3000 Harmonizer, especially if you’re looking for an original vintage unit, can be a bit of a treasure hunt. Here are some places where you might find an Eventide H3000:
- Vintage Gear Retailers: Some specialized vintage audio equipment retailers may occasionally have vintage Eventide H3000 units in stock. These are often thoroughly tested and refurbished.
- Online Marketplaces: Websites like eBay, Reverb, and Vintage King frequently have listings for vintage audio gear, including the H3000. Be sure to research the seller and ask questions about the condition and history of the unit.
- Audio Forums and Communities: Online audio forums and communities often have classified sections where members buy, sell, and trade gear. Participating in these communities can be a good way to connect with sellers.
- Studio Equipment Auctions: Occasionally, studio equipment auctions feature vintage audio gear, including the H3000. Keep an eye on relevant auctions in your area.
- Pro Audio Dealers: Some pro audio dealers may carry used or vintage gear in addition to new equipment. Contact dealers in your region to inquire about availability.
- Vintage Music Equipment Shows: Attending vintage music equipment shows or trade shows can be a great way to find vintage audio gear, including the H3000.
- Eventide’s Official Outlet: Occasionally, Eventide itself may offer refurbished or vintage gear for sale through its official outlet or website.
- Audio Equipment Rental Houses: Some studio equipment rental companies also sell equipment, including vintage gear that they’ve maintained and tested.
When looking for a vintage Eventide H3000, be sure to inquire about the unit’s condition, service history, and any necessary maintenance or repairs. Vintage gear can be a fantastic addition to your studio, but it’s important to ensure that it’s in good working order. Additionally, you may find that there are modern emulations and software versions of the H3000 available if you prefer a more compact and reliable solution.